The New Sparta Energy team has broad Environmental and Social (E&S) experience across Africa and renewable energy technologies, born from its involvement in an extensive list of projects on the continent. We are fully committed to meeting our environmental and social obligations, protecting the environment, and enhancing the communities in which we do business. We will ensure that each of our investments – regardless of their size or technology – satisfy all local and international requirements and meet best practice E&S protocols, including a robust Environmental & Social Impact Assessment.
Our environmental strategy is based on minimising environmental impacts and complying with all applicable environmental regulations and global best practices:
- Ensure potentially significant impacts of projects are prevented or fully mitigated
- Avoid projects that impact on any UN Tier 1 Critical Habitat Species
- Develop environmental impact offset strategies that provide a net gain to the community
- Employ carefully selected environmental specialists to ensure that biodiversity is conserved and natural resources sustainably managed
We will act in a responsible manner with consideration to all relevant social factors, and strive for economic development that positively impacts the communities in which we do business:
- Adhere to local and international requirements regarding working time, non-discrimination, and child labour, following International Labour Organisation guidance and applicable IFC Performance Standards
- Carefully review and consider projects that require any form of economic or physical displacement
- Support project affected communities, focusing on specific areas identified during baseline development, feasibility, and environmental and social impact assessment
- Stimulate local job creation and supply reliable and sustainable power
- Conduct all project and investment activities with full appreciation of local and cultural community sensitivities, including comprehensive stakeholder engagement to obtain broad support for projects within affected communities
Environment and Social Management System
NSE has developed a bespoke Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) that will be applied to the appraisal, investment management, development, construction, operation and disposal of its project investments. The ESMS has been designed to follow best international practice, and includes our relevant environmental and social policies, team responsibilities, processes for screening and due diligence of investments, outlines of key documents, and a framework for regular monitoring and reporting. The ESMS will be overseen by a dedicated in-house E&S Manager, fully supported by NSE's senior management, Board of Directors and, as required, external E&S specialists.